Monday, June 20, 2016

In the film racket, "stupid" and "hopeful" probably look the same from a distance.


What do I mean by that?  I guess what I mean is that most writers know getting his/her work made into a film is a long shot.  Such a long shot that putting any time or energy into it probably seems ... well ... stupid.  And yet writers do it all the time.  Are we stupid?  Hopeful?  Both?

Example:  A few months ago I put the scripts for all five issues of my creator-owned comic Sally of the Wasteland into a single file and then dumped that file into Final Draft  the popular "industry standard" screenwriting program.  I would like to say that the program instantly transformed the comic book scripts into a film screenplay, but that would be a whopper of a lie.  Still, if you squinted just right, the document did look a tiny bit screenplay-ish.  I spent some time (time I should have been spending on other projects ... because I'm stupid and hopeful) hammering the thing into shape, making it look less like a comic book script and more like a screenplay. 

It worked.  After all my efforts, I sat back and looked at what I'd done.  A 90 page feature screenplay.  Cool.  So .... now what?

At the time of writing this blog post, three of my novels are currently under option.   I'm grateful for this, but all of these projects are happening "way over there" and I don't really feel connected to them at all.  I'm keen to be hands on, so maybe Sally is my chance.  Maybe.  Who knows?

I hooked up with a like-minded fellow (I won't out him here in case he does not want to be thought of as stupid and hopeful) who liked the script and did a break down.  We've discussed casting and funding and all that.  It's all in the very early stages.  As a comic, we billed Sally as "B-movie" and "grindhouse" and I'd love to approach the film version the same way.  This could all end up being a stupid waste of time, but if I shunned everything difficult or unlikely, I'd never get anywhere.  I guess that's the point.  Hey, Gischler, you're wasting your time.  Yeah?  You might be right. I think I'm going to hit my head against this brick wall anyway.

In the meantime, Sally of the Wasteland still exists as a graphic novel.  Check it out HERE.


1 comment:

top professional resume writing service reviews said...

This is wonderful that you are finally able to give it a shape of a screenplay. It is obviously a much hard work and effort. Nothing comes without spending time and putting in effort.