Saturday, February 24, 2007

It's Beer (seriously this time)


It's rare my wife and I agree on a beer we both like, but Scarecrow Golden Pale Ale is pretty damn good. It's expensive as hell. (Compared to Coors light anyway.)

When I used to live in Oklahoma and I was mowing the lawn in summer and it was 105 effing degrees outside, then a nice, cold watery beer like Coors Light really fit the bill. But now that I live one block from a fancy-food market with a great beer and wine selection ... well, I'm finding some interesting choices. My favorite beer is still the stuff I had on tap in the Czech Republic. Get yourself an expensive airline ticket and head to Prague for a week for some first class beering. Hmmmm. I feel the need to get back to Europe. Soon.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

You're right. Beer is all about context. Though I have yet to find the right context for "Natural Light."

Neil said...

Mmmmmm. Staropromen. Remember that stuff? Yummy. It really *did* lock in the drunk.

Neil said...

And Duane, the right context for Natural Light is "Always" (and that goes double for Miller High Life Light).

John Dishon said...

The context for Natural Light is a college party when you're low on money. My old roommate drank 24 of those in one night one time. I can't even drink one--it's more water than beer.

Victor Gischler said...

In my younger days, I went on a quest to find drinkable beer for under 3 bucks a six-pack. This is how I discovered Olympia, Hamm's, and Falstaff.

Verdict: All beer is drinkable if it's cold enough.

VG

Unknown said...

Clearly, your quest did not take you to the Valley of Natural Light. I don't think even carbon-freezing it, Han Solo-style, would help.

John Dishon said...

That's why it's called The Beast.

Patrick Shawn Bagley said...

When I was in high school, we used to pool our money to get a couple cases of Natural Light because it was the cheapest stuff out there. It's pretty fucking bad, but Natty Light is not the worst beer I've ever had. I think that honor goes to Utica Club. Or Schaeffer. There's nothing quite like waking up at 4 a.m. with the "Schaeffer Shits."

Anonymous said...

Actually the beast refers to old milwaulkee's best though I shudder to think what their worst takes like if that is their best.