Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Excuse me, but we were right in the middle of a movie...



You know what I enjoy?  When we are smack dab in the middle of a film and suddenly, often seemingly for no reason, there is a song.  I like things that are arbitrary if done well ... a tough combination.  So below, in reverse order, are the top three songs that come out of nowhere in the middle of a movie.

3. "Raindrops Keep falling on My Head."  This makes the bottom of the list as it was not actually sung by the characters in the movie.  But it sure does come out of nowhere.  I mean, it's a western, right?  Can you imagine a sudden musical number in Unforgiven?  Try to picture John Wayne suddenly singing a song in The Searchers.  I have to think that on paper this looks like a bad bet, but it's a great scene from Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

2. "Afternoon Delight" from Anchorman.  A great silly scene for a wonderfully silly movie.  Executed perfectly, the characters all fall right into the song as if it is the most natural thing in the world.  Quality funny.

1. The #1 song on the list is not the best song, and not the most well executed.  It makes the top of the list for the simple reason that it provides a surprisingly amusing moment in an otherwise tedious film.  You can experience it HERE.


Okay, that's an intentionally half-assed list I thought up in about four minutes.  Let me know what I missed.  Links appreciated.

6 comments:

J. R. McLemore said...

This may or may not technically qualify for your list, Victor, but it's what first popped into my mind. Perhaps, you'll enjoy it. This is a song played during House of 1000 Corpses and seems eerily out of place given the scene's context.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Du9p_txjbsM

John DuMond said...

What, no Abba?

I'd have to add the "Danke Schoen"/ "Twist and Shout" scene from FERRIS BUELLER'S DAY OFF.

Kieran Shea said...

Dream sequence....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EK7FYzmlriA

Victor Gischler said...

Good ones, guys. Thanks.

John, I considered FERRIS but didn't know if lip-sincing was in the rules ... which is dumb since I make and break the rules at will.

Kenn Hoekstra said...

Two that came to mind for me were...

Harold & Kumar sing Wilson Phillips:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHwvM8Lw4v0

& the creepy Sweet Child O'Mine scene from Step Brothers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tm2Jy64b0dI&feature=fvwrel

I wonder if the Bohemian Rhapsody scene from Wayne's World counts? :)

Fun stuff!

Kenn Hoekstra said...

Also just remembered "Leavin' on a Jet Plane" from Armageddon! :)