Friday, March 19, 2010

The Line-Up #3, poetry you should check out

Gerald So was kind enough to fix me up with with a .pdf copy of THE LINEUP #3 and I have to say I'm impressed. In my opinion, most of the poetry written in the world is utter garbage. When you pick up a Norton Anthology of literature and read some of the classic poems within, you have to understand that each of those gems represents thousands of discarded turds that poets have penned over the centuries. So when I open the pages of The Lineup #3 and see that 75% of the poems within are actually good, I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised. You beat the odds, guys. Congratulations.

Not all the poems hit the mark, and without bothering to name names, I'll simply say that some selections suffer from that age old poetry problem -- prose with line breaks. Taking run-of-the mill sentences and giving them neat little line breaks so you have a narrow column of words skipping down the page does not a poem make. Hey, I'm guilty of this myself. One time, I took a crime "poem" I'd written and took out the line breaks and sold it to Crimestalker Casebook as a short-short piece of fiction. It happens.

But many more of the poems are quite enjoyable. I suppose I could go poem by poem and point out some nice use of language and some vivid imagery I think works pretty well ... but I'm a lazy lazy man. Trust me. It's in there, and you should take a look for yourself. I will say that the James Sallis and James W. Hall poems were among the most memorable. Many of the selections are expertly rendered, yet simultaneously accessible to the reader that might not normally make a habit of reading poetry. Try it.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

on an unrelated note. Vic your ending Merc with a mouth! why?!

Victor Gischler said...

Hey Mike,

I'm not ending it. Marvel is. I just salute and say, "Yes. sir."

But there are a lot of Deadpool books out there, so my guess is Marvel is trying to keep it reasonable. MwaM wraps up just as DP Corps picks up speed, so it's a good balance.

VG

Unknown said...

Yes thats true but yours was the only one i looked forward to. well prelude to the Dp corps was good. but until the whole series comes R.I.P Merc With a Mouthed