Friday, January 12, 2007

I always catch onto things late

Whenever somebody is talking about the latest hip film or cool novel, I try to make a note of it, but I always seem to get on board when it's already old news to everyone else. Maybe, I just don't like to rush into things. Maybe I'm lazy. I don't get off the dime. But usually when something smacks me in the face for the 10th time, I take notice. For example:

I'd heard lot of good things about Joe Meno's The Boy Detective Fails. I kept meaning to pick up a copy but never did. Finally, when I was having lunch with a pal, and he mentioned how eager he was to grab a copy of the same book, I decided it was time to get my fat ass in gear and head to my local book-seller. I'm only 100 pages into it, but already I can tell Meno is my kind of author. I think I'd like to come back with a full review when I'm finished reading.

Anyway, like I was saying, it takes me a while to catch on, but when I do finally see that film or read that novel, it is almost always a good bet. I think by waiting a little longer, I weed out the flash-n-the-pan stuff, and what's left is quality entertainment. (A nice way to rationalize my lazy lazy ways.)

Have a good weekend, everyone.

2 comments:

Sandra Ruttan said...

You think you're late? I still haven't seen Titanic. I just recently saw The Big Sleep for the first time, and The Maltese Falcon.

Neil said...

Books, eh? Bunches of pages bundled together in sequence, eh? Phooey. Sounds like a fad.