Thursday, June 14, 2007

Mmmmmmm ... Meat.



In the 90+ degree Baton Rouge heat yesterday, I put together my new, hot, black, heavy, iron, bruise-inducing charcoal grill, a magnificent item produced by these fine folks. I am not handy with tools. Yes, I did hurt myself. But it was all worth it, for today I will be slapping some big-ass steaks on this mofo. Mmmmmm. Dead cow.
Now a lot of folks like propane. Cleaner and more efficient. A POX on cleaner and more efficient. I want ash and smoke and sweat and a general feeling that there has perhaps been some sort of air-strike. I want to be a sweaty, charcoal-smeared mess by the time those steaks are ready. I will be drinking beer so cold it will make my teeth hurt. I GRILL! I AM MAN!
And maybe a nice salad to go with it.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, Victor the Meat Eater! Isn't that what your name means? I agree: charcoal is best. And fie on those hypocrites who use propane or natural gas grills -- most of 'em drive Hummers 'round these parts! As I coast by in my Prius...

Megan Abbott keeps talking about Vicki Hendricks, guess I'd better read the book?

New customer walked out the door yesterday, clutching paperbacks of Gun Monkey, Pistol Poets, Suicide Squeeze and Shot Gun Opera. Wonder if he'll be back?

love, Linda

Patrick Shawn Bagley said...

Propane is for pansies. Charcoal rules.

Neil said...

The only thing better than charcoal, I think, would be to strike oil in your backyard, build a grill over it, and light it on fire so you have an eternal grill flame cooking those steaks over pure concentrated dinosaur bones. Plus, instant sauce.

Victor Gischler said...

You Mystery Bookstore folks are too good to me, Linda. I hope that guy comes back happy and not asking for a refund.

And I think Vicki Hendricks is tops.

VG

Stephen Blackmoore said...

A salad?!

Pussy.

Anonymous said...

Hey, ain't nothing wrong with propane, mofo...bring it.

Question is, how do you like them big ass steaks cooked? You tell me well done and I"m takin' away your license to grill.

Victor Gischler said...

Lori,

Well done? Please. I don't actually light the grill.

VG

Anonymous said...

Wait a month or so and you'll be able to steam vegetables on the sidewalk to go with the steaks. Gotta love Baton Rouge weather.

lemon said...

good article of charcoal grill . thanks so much