Tuesday, June 26, 2012

KICKSTART MY HEART: A GO-GO GIRLS OF THE APOCALYPSE SEQUEL


Go-Go Girls of the Apocalypse II: The Luxury Wars is the title of the sequel to the original Go-Go published in 2008 by Simon & Schuster.  The only catch is ... I haven't written it yet.  Then why are you bothering us, Gischler?!?!    An explanation:

Soon after the Touchstone imprint of Simon & Schuster published Go-Go-Girls of the Apocalypse, I started getting requests from kind readers for a sequel.  I generally don't write sequels, but the requests just kept coming in.  Also ... I actually had an idea for a sequel which doesn't usually happen.  I eagerly pitched the idea to my publisher.

They shot me down.  "Sequels don't sell" they told me.  And when Go-Go wasn't an immediate best-seller they seemed to lose interest all together.  Conventional wisdom dictates that a different publisher won't mess with a sequel if they don't have the rights to the first book.  So writing a sequel simply wasn't in the cards.  But then the book was lucky enough to get a 2nd printing, and a 3rd, and a 4th.  It was optioned for film.  Translation rights sold.  And while the book still never got those J.K. Rowling numbers that all publishers hope for, the requests for a sequel still hit me on email and found me on Twitter, etc.  But alas, there was no home for such a sequel. (Single tear rolls down cheek.)

Two things have made me change my mind:  1. Kickstarter and 2. Kindle (and other e-readers.)

I can now skip the middle man and offer the sequel directly to readers, and Kickstarter affords me the opportunity to really test if there is a desire for a sequel at all. And although readers of the first book are the most obvious targets for a sequel, my plan is to write a novel which won't lose new readers.  The story is right there in my brain ready to go.  I just need to get my ass in the chair and start typing.

So here I am humbly asking you to do one (or both!) of two things.  1. Click HERE to support my kickstarter campaign. That tingle you feel is me zapping you with white hot karma.  2. Spread the word on your blog-o-thingy, Facebook or whatever.

Thanks.  No, really.  THANKS!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

You might shoot Dave White a copy of this post.

Victor Gischler said...

What's up, Bill? Dave thinking of a similar project?

Nathan R. said...

Thank god there is a sequel coming... Always wanted to dig further into your characters and was sad when I would finish one of your books wanting more thrill rides. Maybe a sequel to Shotgun Opera too? The ending definitely gave a glimpse of a potential sequel.

Anonymous said...

Gotta go sell some stuff now, some of my apocalypse stash no less...

Craig Zablo said...

I am on board and helping to spread the word: I Support Go-Go Girls of the Apocalypse II, Too http://craigzablo.com/?p=6938

Victor, do you think if you get enough support, you could put out a trade paperback similar to the original? I'd kick in more to see that happen!

Victor Gischler said...

Craig,

We're looking into a papetback for sure ... but it's a bit down the road right now.

Guy Savage said...

BTW, very Dostoevsky of you. I'm thinking The Gambler....

Mo said...

I'm in, I just threw some of my money your way. I'm looking forward to this sequel.

Victor Gischler said...

You guys are awesome!

I'm out of town right now but will haveanupdate in a few days.

VG

Tim M said...

Still wishing for this one. I can cross more than my fingers...Yikes!